Bryan Weichelt PhD, MBA
Associate Research Scientist
National Farm Medicine Center
1000 North Oak Ave. ML1 Marshfield, WI 54449
- Ph.D., Biomedical & Health Informatics, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
- Certificate, Agricultural Safety and Health, International Society of Agricultural Safety and Health, Bloomington, IL
- M.B.A., Business Administration, University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, Whitewater, WI
- Certificate, Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, PA
- M.S., Information and Communication Technology, University of Wisconsin - Stout, Menomonie, WI
- B.A., Criminal Justice, University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
- B.A., Psychology, University of Wisconsin - Stout, Menomonie, WI
- 2009 to 2010:
- First Lieutenant, Platoon Leader, Alpha Btry 1-120th FA, Wisconsin Army National Guard, Camp Cropper, Iraq
- 2004 to 2012:
- Captain, Battalion Logistics Officer, 1-120th FA, Wisconsin Army National Guard, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- 2012 to 2014:
- I.S. Project Manager, Biomedical Informatics Research Center, Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Marshfield, WI
- 2014 to 2015:
- Health Communications Manager, National Farm Medicine Center, Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Marshfield, WI
- 2015 to 2016:
- Project Manager, National Farm Medicine Center, Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Marshfield, WI
- 1990 to Present:
- General Laborer, Calf Caretaker, Equipment Operator, Weichelt Dairy Farm, Stratford, WI
- 2014 to Present:
- Owner, Weichelt Acres and Orchard, Stratford, WI
- 2016 to Present:
- Associate Research Scientist, National Farm Medicine Center; Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, Marshfield, WI
Dr. Weichelt focuses on the application of technologies to the current agricultural health and safety landscape, including assessing effectiveness of new tools and mobile technology in reaching rural farm populations. Within the purview of agricultural safety and health informatics, Dr, Weichelt plans to gain further experience in formal usability and user experience studies with a focus on user-centered design and human-computer interaction as critical components of designing information systems and public health tools with cross-sector relevance. Dr. Weichelt is also exploring options for systematically capturing patient occupation and veteran status in the MCHS EHR, and assessing provider adoption of mHealth in rural health care.
Bryan grew up on his parents' fifth generation dairy farm in Central Wisconsin where they now primarily grow corn and soybeans. He earned his doctorate in Biomedical and Health Informatics from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee with a dissertation focused on assessing clinicians' barriers to adopting mHealth technology use with rural patients. He has also earned a Master’s of Science in Information & Communication Technology and a MBA. Bryan is now an Associate Research Scientist at the National Farm Medicine Center where he leads several informatics-based research projects, including the recent development of an augmented reality version of Farm-MAPPER, and AgInjuryNews.org, a growing assemblage injury surveillance data based on news reports.
Zhou Z, He M, Brilliant M, Brautbar A, Miller A, Weichelt B, Lin S. (2013 September). PS3-2: Informatics Challenges to Implement Pharmacogenetics to Clinical Practice. Clin Med Res. 11(3):147-148.
Iris Anne Reyes, Nancy Bellendorf, Tami Meehan, Ron Wenger, Christopher Kadolph, Shaun Halstead,...Matthew Keifer [including Andrea Mahnke, Bryan Weichelt, William Ray.] Facilitating Return to Work for Injured and Ill Animal Agriculture Workers. Journal of Agromedicine. 2014 April; 19(2):232. doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2014.892457.
Weichelt B, Bendixsen CG, Salzwedel M, Lee B. (2015). Community-Based Agriculture: Safety Guidelines for Youth Working in Gardens. Marshfield, WI: Marshfield Clinic.
Ray W, Finamore J, Rastegar-Mojarad M, Kadolph C, Ye Z, Bohne J,...Lin SM [including Xu Y, Burish D, Sondelski J, Easker M, Finnegan B, Bartkowiak B, Weichelt B.] (2016 March 2). MD-CTS: An integrated terminology reference of clinical and translational medicine. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 14 :131-4.
PubMed ID: 27069559
Weichelt B, Salzwedel M, Heiberger S, Lee BC. Establishing a publicly available national database of US news articles reporting agriculture-related injuries and fatalities. Am J Ind Med. 2018 May 24; doi: 10.1002/ajim.22860.
PubMed ID: 29790197
Weichelt B, Yoder A, Bendixsen C, Pilz M, Minor G, Keifer M. Augmented Reality Farm MAPPER Development: Lessons Learned from an App Designed to Improve Rural Emergency Response. J Agromedicine. 23(3):284-296. doi: doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2018.1470051..
PubMed ID: 30047852
Weichelt B, Bendixsen C. A Review of 2016-2017 Agricultural Youth Injuries Involving Skid Steers and a Call for Intervention and Translational Research. J Agromedicine. 2018 October; 23(4):374-380.
PubMed ID: 30230430
Weichelt B, Gorucu S. Supplemental surveillance: a review of 2015 and 2016 agricultural injury data from news reports on AgInjuryNews.org. Inj Prev. 2019 June 25; doi: doi: 10.1136/injuryprev-2017-042671.
PubMed ID: 29386372
Weichelt B, Heimonen T, Pilz M, Yoder A, Bendixsen C. An Argument Against Cross-Platform Development: Lessons From an Augmented Reality App Prototype for Rural Emergency Responders. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2019 March 28; 7(3):e12207.
PubMed ID: 30920380
Weichelt B, Hooper E, Chow B. Infant identical triplets' presentation of human parechovirus Type 3. IDCases. 2019 January 24; 15 :e00494.
PubMed ID: 30766797
Weichelt B, Bendixsen C, Keifer M. Farm Owners and Workers as Key Informants in User-Centered Occupational Health Prototype Development: A Stakeholder-Engaged Project. J. Med. Internet Res.. 2019 January 29; 21(1):e9711.
PubMed ID: 30694202
Murphy D, Gorucu S, Weichelt B, Scott E, Purschwitz M. Using multiple coding schemes for classification and coding of agricultural injury. Am J Ind Med. 2019 February; 62(2):87-98.
PubMed ID: 30561026
Bryan Weichelt, Anita Alves Pena, Jeffrey Joyce, Matthew Keifer. Economic Evaluation and Systematic Review of Publicly Available Workers’ Compensation Practice Details and Mod Rate Calculators Applied to Upper Midwest Agriculture. [published online ahead of print 2019 April 3]. Journal of Agromedicine. doi: doi.org/10.1080/1059924X.2019.1593274 .
Weichelt B, Pena AA, Joyce J, Keifer M. Economic Evaluation and Systematic Review of Publicly Available Workers' Compensation Practice Details and Mod Rate Calculators Applied to Upper Midwest Agriculture. [published online ahead of print 2019 April 2]. J Agromedicine. :1-13. doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2019.1593274.
PubMed ID: 30940000
Weichelt B, Gorucu S, Murphy D, Pena AA, Salzwedel M, Lee BC. Agricultural Youth Injuries: A Review of 2015-2017 Cases from U.S. News Media Reports. J Agromedicine. 2019 July; 24(3):298-308.
PubMed ID: 31130110
Bryan Weichelt, William Ray, Matthew Keifer. Development of an Occupational Health Safe Return to Work Prototype Application and Ergonomics Dataset for Agricultural Tasks. Safety. 2019 June 17; 5(2)doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/safety5020040 .