Neel Shimpi B.D.S., M.M., Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - COSH
Center for Oral and Systemic Health
1000 North Oak Ave. 1R4 Marshfield, WI 54449
- 2016 to 2017:
- Certificate , Clinical Research, National Institute of Health, USA
- 2014 to 2017:
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy, Biomedical and Healthcare Informatics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
- 2010 to 2012:
- Master of Management (M.M), Management with majors in Healthcare Informatics, Cambridge College of Management, Massachusetts, USA
- 2008 to 2009:
- Post graduate diploma in Healthcare Management (PG, Healthcare Management, Symbiosis Center of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2007 to 2008:
- Post graduate diploma in Clinical Research (CCR), Clinical Research, Symbiosis Center of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2001 to 2005:
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery ( B.D.S), Dentistry, C.S.M.S.S Dental College, Maharashtra University of Health Sceinces, Aurangabad, India
- 2018 to Present:
- Chair, Dental Informatics Working Group, American Medical Informatics Association, USA
- 2018 to Present:
- Member, MCRI Scientific Seminar Planning Committee, Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, USA
- 2017 to Present:
- Associate Research Scientist (Tenure Track), Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, Wisconsin, USA
- 2017 to Present:
- Member, Continuing Dental Education Committee, Marshfield Clinic, USA
- 2013 to 2017:
- Research Specialist, Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, Wisconsin, USA
- 2012 to 2013:
- Research Assistant, Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, Wisconsin, USA
- 2011 to 2012:
- Visiting Faculty Member, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2010 to 2012:
- Graduate Student, Cambrige College of Management, Cambridge , MA, USA
- 2008 to 2010:
- Study Co.ordinator, Clincal Trials, SK Medical Center, Pune, India
- 2005 to 2007:
- Dental Surgeon, Self-employed, Dental Clinic, Polyclinic, Aurangabad, India
- 2004 to 2005:
- Dental Residency, C.S.M.S.S Dental College and Hospital, Aurangabad, India
My passion and motivation towards investigating oral and systemic connections and informatics is driven by my previous work experience as a dental surgeon, clinical trial study coordinator and latest work experience at Marshfield Clinic in conducting various cutting-edge research studies including clinical and oral-systemic health research surrounding relationships between diabetes and periodontal disease, pregnancy and oral health, among others. I have been actively engaged in research advancing medical-dental integration for over 6 years, and have the appropriate background, training and expertise to proactively collaborate with the research team on advancing the proposed research study. Currently, as a tenure-track associate research scientist at the Center for Oral and Systemic Health (COSH) at Marshfield Clinic Research Institute (MCRI), my main focus is on investigating oral and systemic relationships with high potential for translation into clinical practice, developing and evaluating various clinical decision support tools, applying natural language processing and patient engagement/education modules, which leverage my expertise in the field of biomedical and healthcare informatics. As a research specialist, I was also involved in studies surrounding patient engagement and activation via the internet, patient health portals, focus groups, and gaining insight into patient awareness of on various oral-systemic disease relationships. My previous training, problem-solving skills and experience position me to actively collaborate and contribute to achievement of the defined study objectives to ensure successful completion of the proposed study.
Medical and Dental informatics, Artificial Intelligence, Investigating Oral and Systemic Health Connections, Oral Health Clinical Research, Oral and Oro-pharyngeal Cancers, Developing Clinical Decision Support Tools, Provider and Patient Education and Electronic Health Records.
Shimpi N, Schroeder D, Kilsdonk J, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Acharya A. (2016 February 8). Assessment of Dental Providers’ Knowledge, Behavior and Attitude towards Incorporating Chairside Screening for Medical Conditions: A Pilot Study. Journal of Dentistry and Oral Care Medicine. 2(1):102.
Schwei K, Thomas K, Mahnke A, Shimpi N, Thirumalai V, Enstad C,...Acharya A. (2016). Usability Heuristic Evaluation of a Web-based Case Simulator for Dentists. J Dent Res. :95.
Shimpi N, Schroeder D, Kilsdonk J, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Penniman E, Acharya A. (2016 March). Medical Providers' Oral Health Knowledgeability, Attitudes, and Practice Behaviors: An Opportunity for Interprofessional Collaboration. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 16(1):19-29.
PubMed ID: 27132552
Shimpi N, Bharatkumar A, Jethwani M, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Blamer J, Acharya A. (2016 July 23). Knowledgeability, Attitude and Behavior of Primary Care Providers Towards Oral Cancer: a Pilot Study. J Cancer Educ.
PubMed ID: 27448614
Acharya A, Shimpi N, Mahnke A, Mathias R, Ye Z. (2017 May). Medical care providers' perspectives on dental information needs in electronic health records. J Am Dent Assoc. 148(5):328-337.
PubMed ID: 28284418
Glurich I, Schwei KM, Lindberg S, Shimpi N, Acharya A. (2017 October 1). Integrating Medical-Dental Care for Diabetic Patients: Qualitative Assessment of Provider Perspectives. Health Promot Pract. :1524839917737752.
PubMed ID: 29073800
Neel Shimpi, Kelsey Schwei, Sara Cooper, Po-Huang Chyou, Amit Acharya. (2018 Mar). Understanding patients’ oral health information needs. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 149 :184-190.
Shimpi N, Ye Z, Koralkar R, Glurich I, Acharya A. (2018 Feb). Need for diagnostic-centric care in dentistry: A case study from the Marshfield Clinic Health System. J Am Dent Assoc. 149(2):122-131.
PubMed ID: 29389335
Neel Shimpi, Monica Jethwani, Aditi Bharatkumar, Po-Huang Chyou, Ingrid Glurich, Amit Acharya. (2018 Dec). "Patient awareness/knowledge towards oral cancer: a cross-sectional survey" BMC Oral Health. 18
Hegde H, Shimpi N, Glurich I, Acharya A. (2018). Tobacco use status from clinical notes using Natural Language Processing and rule based algorithm. Technol Health Care. 26(3):445-456.
PubMed ID: 29614708
Shimpi N, Glurich I, Schroeder D, Katrak C, Chyou PH, Acharya A. (2018 Sep 21). Patient Awareness of Association of Diabetes and Periodontal Disease. Health Promot Pract.
PubMed ID: 30238811